Our primary service area is Jasper County. This is a predominantly rural area with an approximate population of 25,000 according to the 2010 U.S. Census Bureau. The median household income is $35,942 (Low Country Council of Government figures) which is below the state and national level. The population is approximately 52.7% African-American, 42.4% White, 12.5% Hispanic and 4.9% other minorities.
• Coastal Derby Empire is the newest women’s flat track derby league in the Southeast. We are FOR the skaters BY the skaters! Practices are held every Monday and Wednesday from 7:30pm-9:30pm, at the Agape Family Life Center. This league was founded by 7 women, all seasoned derby girls, who dreamed of forming a league that would inspire new skaters and continue the growth of a sport they all love. In the summer of 2012, their dreams became a reality as they brought their skills, business sense and their love for derby together to form an empire, the Coastal Derby Empire.
• Selected by the Jasper County Schools District to serve as the Hardeeville site for their 21st Century Grant for the 2012-2013 school year. This school district grant allows us to focus our program on enrichment activities that will compliment the academics provided by their certified teachers.
• Our Food Bank continues to provide our clients who are struggling to provide adequate nutrition to their families due to the current economic climate. Many other food banks in our area have closed their doors but with the help of private donations and our volunteers our client base continues to increase each year by 25%. We are serving over 250 families monthly throughout Jasper County.
• Our partnership with the Jasper/Hampton Adult Education continues to grow and the success rate of the students taking the General Educational Development (or GED) tests has grown to 45%. The enrollment rate of the GED Preparation course has increased this year due to the implementation of the Computer-based Aztec software capability which contains an ESOL (English as a Second Language) module.
• Agape Family Fitness Center has a collaborative relationship with the Low Country Food Bank of Charleston. Established in 2001, the food distribution center became the first food distribution center in this area. This venture serves over 100 families monthly throughout Jasper County. Community volunteers provide in-kind services to services our customer base with an annual operational budget of approximately $2500.
• A fully equipped fitness center opened in February 2008. Currently we have over 50 members utilizing the center on a weekly basis. Our hours of operation are Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 6:00 am 8:00 pm; Tuesday 9:00 am 5:00 pm; Saturday 8:00 am 2:00 pm.
• The first summer camp (Camp FUNkedemics) was held last year and provided 40 children a safe and positive environment for a total of eight weeks. This camp was the only summer program available in the southern area of Jasper County and included collaboration with a professional sports camp based in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
• The Center works in partnership with the Jasper/Hampton Adult Education Service to provide the facility for a GED Preparation Course.
• A Substance Abuse Support Group uses the center for weekly meetings and counseling sessions.
• Community residents use the center twice a week for basketball games. A volleyball league practices at the center with monthly intramural tournaments. Jasper County Parks & Recreation Department utilized the center for a MLK Basketball tournament for children aged 12 and below. We are in negotiation with Hardeeville Parks & Recreation to provide a facility for their 2009-2010 Athletic League season.
• Coordinated with JCNU and area residents to provide emergency home repairs, i.e. roofing, flooring and when possible, offered financial assistance for utility payments.
• The Pregnancy Center and Clinic of the Low Country provides free prenatal care every Tuesday from their new mobile clinic parked at the center.
© Agape Family Life Center, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Website designed by Grove Designs